Starting Salary: $100,000 or DOE
Vice President of Operations
The following is a summary of the general nature and level of work performed by the staff member in this position. This description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned at the Washington State Convention Center Public Facilities District (WSCC).
This position will be open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
The Director of Operations will provide leadership and direction for facilities operations, and management to include the safe execution of custodial and set-up operations. Plan, organize and direct a full range of activities and ensure the delivery of first-class customer service. Responsible for carrying out setup, event maintenance, and strike of facility event spaces in direct support of and based upon the requirements for short and long-term events in coordination with all WSCC Departments. Manage four classifications of both supervisory and non-supervisory staff performing event support operations. Develop and oversee the Department’s operating purchases, projects and budgets, and long-range plans.
Responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide overall management, leadership and direction for event operations to include event setup, event support, event custodial, and strike operations.
- Responsible for the oversight, management and delivery of training for Assistant Director, managers, supervisors and staff. Support a work environment that promotes teamwork, performance feedback, recognition, mutual respect and employee engagement while ensuring compliance with company policies, labor agreement and legal requirements.
- Monitor and evaluate department operations with the aim of developing ideas and activities that will allow the staff to plan projects and perform all necessary functions in the most creative, cost effective and efficient methods.
- Develop organizational directives, policies and procedures for operating programs effectively in the area of event operations.
- Participate in the research, development, evaluation and implementation of new products, services, technology and process to ensure the Center’s competitive position and in anticipation of changing customer needs within the dynamic convention and meetings environment.
- Coordinate department activities in conjunction with contracted event services providers, including electrical, audio visual, telecom/connectivity and exhibitor services desk.
- Coordinate operations closely with the Director of Security and Public Safety for alignment with all fire life safety & emergency and prevention plans, operations and procedures.
The work schedule for this position typically fluctuates based upon the needs of events or projects, which would require the ability to work a flexible schedule including late nights, early mornings, long days, weekends and holidays.
This position directly supervises the Assistant Director of Operations, Administrative Assistant, Sustainability Manager, Managers (Day, Swing, Night), Supervisors (Day, Swing, Night) and staff.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university and five years related experience and/or training; equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in MS Office and MS Windows environments
- Familiar with various software systems (event management, floorplans and drafting, inventory management, and incident tracking/reporting), as well as user administrations within these types of applications
- Customer-focused, team player who can effectively lead a team with a positive attitude in accordance with Quality Service Program, Employee Recognition, and WSCC Mission, Vision and Service Standards
- Passion for operational excellence and success
- Recognizes when external perspective, expertise, services or leverage are appropriate and develops strong working relationships with outside contractors and resources
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to produce clear and well-organized documents
- Ability to effectively plan, prioritize, document, and implement
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze and understand business practices, elicit and define requirements, and identify appropriate solutions and options
- Strong situational awareness and conflict resolution skills
- Conduct that fosters productive team-oriented relationships with supervisors, peers, staff and external contractors and public
· This position will be open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
· Resumes may be included, but not substituted for the Application for Employment or Structured Questionnaire.
· The applicant is responsible for submitting the completed Application for Employment and Structured Questionnaire. Providing incomplete documentation may delay action or disqualify the application.
· The final hiring process involves employment reference checks and a criminal background check.
· If accommodations are required to complete the application and/or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (206) 694-5038.
· Washington State Convention Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.