Supervisor: Event Control Manager
Labor Council Rep: Teamsters, Local #117
The following is a summary of the general nature and level of work performed by the staff member in this position. This description is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
Every employee at the Washington State Convention Center Public Facilities District (WSCC) works closely with our visitors and guests. We hire employees who enjoy greeting, listening and responding to these guests. All work is done with a smile and each employee is responsible for making a good first impression and embracing WSCC service standards. Consistently delivering quality service is our number one priority.
The successful candidate will assist the Event Services department in fulfilling the needs of WSCC guests and exhibitors. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Greet guests in a friendly, service-oriented manner
- Check credentials of exhibitors entering the facility via loading areas
- Monitor and control vehicular traffic flow in the loading areas of the facility
- Control traffic, issue hand carts and distribute appropriate parking permits to exhibitors using Hand Carried Freight entrances and loading docks
- Operate freight elevators between various load-in and exhibit areas
- Provide directions and general information about downtown Seattle and marshalling yards used during events
- Respond to questions and inquiries about daily move-in/move-out activities in the WSCC
- Act upon concerns and/or complaints from guests (referring them to the appropriate supervisor when necessary)
- Monitor use of passenger load zones, queue vehicles and advise drivers of rules relating to traffic management in and around the facility
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Effectively use a two-way radio for communication with various departments within WSCC
*Individuals hired into this position must serve a probationary period of six months. During the first 10 work shifts, the hourly wage will be $15.75. This position is represented by Teamsters Local #117. The Teamsters Local #117 office is located at 14675 Interurban Avenue South, Suite 307 in Tukwila, and can be reached by telephone at (206) 441-4860.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and experience in a service or hospitality environment are required. Experience assisting with traffic flow, including queuing vehicles is preferred.
This position requires the ability to:
- Use strong customer service skills while maintaining tight schedules for traffic flow
- React calmly and productively in various situations and respond to multiple questions and inquiries in a professional, pleasant manner
- Maintain a team-oriented, working relationship with co-workers, subcontractors and guests
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules or operating and procedure manuals
- Write simple correspondence, count items and add and subtract two-digit numbers
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, guests and clients
- Carry out general to detailed instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
- This position will be open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
- Resumes may be included, but not substituted for the Application for Employment or Structured Questionnaire.
- The applicant is responsible for submitting the completed Application for Employment and Structured Questionnaire. Providing incomplete documentation may delay action or disqualify the application.
- The final hiring process involves employment reference checks and a criminal background check.
- If accommodations are required to complete the application and/or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (206) 694-5038.
- Washington State Convention Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.